Here at App Informers, we are one of the fast growing publications specializing in news from the mobile and desktop application industry. While we are based in Minneapolis, we have readers from all over the world. We are proud to have people in our team who are experts in the industry and who are adept at keeping up to date with all the latest trends.
For this post, we thought we would look at some of the fastest growing app categories so far this year. Keep reading if you’re an app fanatic! The categories that we have selected are based on spend and year-by-year growth so what exactly are the fastest growing categories over the last couple of years?
1. Messaging & Social – You simply need to look at WhatsApp and how dominant it is in the market to truly understand the growth of messaging and social services over the last few years. Social media channels such as Instagram and Snapchat have grown exponentially and these apps are downloaded every day by thousands of people. Indeed, messaging and social apps for year-on-year growth by 44%.
2. Sports – This is another area that has almost as much growth as messaging and social apps. Sports apps encompass all sorts of activities including sports betting, gaming, news and much more. Mobile apps such as ESPN, Fox and NBA TV all offer their own apps for these activities. People like to keep up to date with news on their favorite teams as well as place the occasional bet or check their fantasy team and it is for this reason that these apps continue to prove hugely popular.
3. Gaming – Of course, gaming is still a massive sector and mobile gaming has now overtaken traditional gaming. You can play highly-impressive arcade and RPG games from your smartphone or tablet but mobile casino is also becoming increasingly popular. Whether it’s the online version or mobile app, playing games such as slots from your iPad or Samsung Galaxy has never been easier. There games to suit the tastes of every player.
4. Health – People are more health-conscious than ever before and with the rise in technology, health apps are really helping people eat better and exercise more. Fitbit smartwatches are common and the apps that link up to these devices are used by millions of people every day. MyFitnessPal is massive as is ACTIVEx and Sworkit. There are so many to choose from each with their own benefits and features.
5. Business & Finance – Perhaps not as exciting as others but still pretty important to many people. Mobile banking is huge these days and individuals can transfer money between accounts in just a few seconds using their phones. Banking apps are offered by the majority of banks these days so managing your money has never been easier or more convenient. We would recommend speaking to your bank about mobile banking before downloading any applications and using them for transactions.
We can’t wait to see what happens to these trends in the coming year.